Walk-in coolroom vs walk-in freezer
You may think the terms ’walk-in coolroom’ and ‘walk-in freezer’ are interchangeable but there aren’t, in fact, there are some core differences between the two. They may look similar, but they are subject to very different demands and their applications can vary considerably.
Here at Burton Industries we’ve prepared a brief overview of the key differences
- chills food and beverages
- temperature tends to remain above the freezing point of water
- temperatures can range from 2°c to 12°c for produce to use within a few days or -2°c to 5°c for fast perishing produce. For example eggs, vegetables, butter and cheese will likely be used within a few days, but the lower setting would suit, soon to consume, meat.
- great for fresh produce
- good for hospital medical supplies
- maintains a much colder temperature ensuring everything inside freezes.
- temperatures of -18°c to -22°c sometimes as low as -40°c
- unsuitable for products and produce that will be damaged by temperatures below freezing point.
- Not suitable for produce that needs to be used imminently with no time to defrost
- Good for the preservation of biodegradable materials
- Great for prolonging the lifespan of food products and pharmaceuticals
- Prevents decomposition of laboratory specimens as the cold temperature prevents any microbes from multiplying
Which one do you need?
Of course, it depends on your business, products and requirements. Most foodservice business will require both, but it depends on what you want to store and for how long you want to store it. It will also depend on the temperature range that the products can withstand.
Here at Burton Industries we can provide tailored solutions designed to suit your specific requirements. We manufacture, design and supply top quality coolrooms, freezer rooms and insulated panels at the best prices. Our Cold Storage Solutions offer exceptional performance and adhere to Australian building, hygiene and safety standards. We can help you evaluate the ability of our cold rooms and freezers against your business requirements so that you get the best user experience possible.
Contact us today for immediate advice or to place an order for your new cold rooms or freezer rooms!